Amazon is one of the Big Five American information technology companies focusing on e-commerce, cloud computing, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence. Since 2021, Amazon is now the world’s largest online retailer and marketplace, driven largely by Amazon Prime, which has over 200 million subscribers worldwide.
Amazon Bessemer, AL
- Industry: E-Commerce
- Location: Bessemer, AL
Amazon’s marketing goal was to generate awareness of the positive benefits that they bring to the Bessemer residents, community, and the broader Jefferson, AL county. ESM was tasked with developing a media strategy to help position Amazon as a leading employer, both in Bessemer and across the US, that had a vested interest in their residents and their employment, opportunities, and growth of their community. Our multi-channel, would deliver messaging that presented Amazon as an excellent company and employer, set to serve not only as a positive addition to the community, but an extension of its efforts to enhance the city.
The primary challenge of this campaign was creating a strategy that would allow for the campaign messaging to resonate with our audiences. In short, the goals and challenges of the campaign were to:
- Raise awareness of the positive benefits Amazon will bring to Jefferson county
- To educate the public to see Amazon as one of the leading employers where residents are exploited about their employment and opportunities
- Position Amazon as an excellent company to employees and for the community
Why it Worked
Our approach included a multi-channel, multi-medium media plan to deliver messaging that presented Amazon as an excellent company and employer. In order to effectively achieve the client goal, we identified three potential audiences:
- General public, all of Bessemer, AL.
- Community stakeholders, like pastors and community board members, and a sub-segment of users of friends and family member of Amazon’s Bessemer employees.
- The final audience was composed solely of employees of the Amazon’s Bessemer facility.
This audience strategy aimed at maximum reach and optimal frequency per audience segment through varying media channels.
- General Public: Full coverage of Bessemer, AL using mass reach tactics including print, OOH boars, streaming audio, YouTube, and local news website placements.
- Community Stakeholders: Pastors, community leaders, and friends/family of Amazon employees were targeted using geofence and geoframe activations, as well as Social Graph technology for 1 to 1 audience matching through streaming audio and video, programmatic display banners, and social media (Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Tik Tok).
- Employees: Social Graph technology was used for to activate across streaming audio and video, programmatic display banners, and social media.
Over the course of the three month campaign, this initiative generated national coverage and attention from public officials, media outlets, and activists. Ultimately, our strategy inclusive of our three-fold custom audience curation, and activating across mass-reach, awareness media channels, was successful in spreading the message that Amazon is an employer who supports their employees and the communities they serve resonated with their key audiences. The success of this first campaign resulted in a campaign extension in the Bessemer, AL market, as well as an expansion of our partnership through activating additional Amazon recruitment campaigns in other markets.