On November 17, 2020, Eric Adams announced his candidacy for mayor of New York City. On July 6, 2021, the Associated Press declared Adams the winner of the 2021 Democratic mayoral primary. Adams defeated Republican Curtis Sliwa in the general election and was sworn in as mayor shortly after midnight on January 1, 2022.
Eric Adams: NYC Mayor
- Industry: Politics/Elections
- Location: New York, NY
Awards & Mentions
- 2021 Summit Creative Award for Emerging Media
- 2021 MarCom Gold Award
- 2021 Ava Digital Platinum Award
ESM was tasked with developing a streaming media plan aimed at generating awareness of Eric Adam’s campaign plan and issue stances.
All channel and tactic recommendations were made with the consideration towards hyper-targeted and localized placements and targeting.
Capturing high-influence targets using a multi-touchpoint strategy to reach users throughout their days, was the primary challenge for this initiative. Additionally, this campaign occurred both pre and during the height of the pandemic, and we needed to transition our planning accordingly to continue to meet UPenn’s goals.
Why it Worked
In addition to generating awareness and support for Eric Adam’s campaign plan and issue stances, we sought to consider hyper-targeted and localized placements and targeting. Our key audience identifiers included:
- Geographic Data: oversaturating high value NYC zip codes
- First-party Data: registered voter list
- Behavioral Data: third-party segments
- Content Data: relevant website content
All of these identifiers could be layered on top of one other to create highly refined segments.
Once the audience strategy was developed, we used the following channels to reach all segments:
- OTT: first-party list, third-party data, geographic segments, OTT systems and networks like CNN, MSNBC, News 12, and high-profile specials (i.e. NBA playoffs, Network premieres, and debates).
- Pre-roll Video: first-party list targeting, website targeting with geographic overlays
- YouTube: behavioral data with zip target overlays, content targeting specific videos, channels, or characteristics
- Streaming Audio: networks (Pandora, iHeart, etc.), zip codes, and behavioral patterns
- Programmatic Out of Home: digital placements with high visibility across NYC
Eric Adams won the Primary Election for the Mayor of the City of New York
This campaign was approved for renewal for the upcoming Fall 2021 General Election. Eric Adams then went on to win the General Election and now serves as the Mayor of New York City.