WHO ARE WE?
One of the youngest markets, residents of Military Proximity are married-couple families just beginning parenthood, with an average household size of 3.38. The Armed Forces is the common bond for these consumers. Most of the labor force are on active duty or have civilian jobs on military bases. The labor force participation rate, with the Armed Forces, is close to 80%, highest among Tapestry markets. Moving is routine to Military Proximity householders; 40% have recently lived elsewhere. Consumers live a young, active lifestyle with a focus on their families. These communities are located throughout the United States, but mainly in the South and West.
• Military Proximity households consist of young, married couples with children (Index 270).
• Average household size is high at 3.38 (Index 131).
• Residents live in single-family attached homes (Index 783) or apartments in small, multiunit buildings (Index 235).
• Most homes were built in 1970 or later; over forty percent were constructed by 2000 or later.
• Because they are a young, mobile population, more than nine out of ten households are rented.
• Moving is routine to Military Proximity households; 40% have moved in the past year.
• Most neighborhoods are located in the suburbs, outside of the main cities of metropolitan areas across the South and West.
• They have very short commute times since most live close to where they are stationed.
• The majority of households have one to two vehicles available.
• Over 27% have a college degree; many are still attending college (Index 170).
• Unemployment is higher at 8.1% (Index 149).
• Civilian labor force participation is low at 22%; total labor force participation, with the Armed Forces, is closer to 80%, highest among Tapestry markets.
• These young residents maintain a healthy and active lifestyle that includes participating in sports and exercise.
• Military Proximity consumers are comfortable with personal computers and use the Internet for a host of activities, such as entertainment, shopping, making travel arrangements, and paying bills.